Sunday, September 21, 2008

Hurricanes and Neighbors

Most of our neighborhood is retirees. Reed and Conrad try to help them out by mowing the front lawns. In our city you will get fined if your lawn isn't maintained. Stupid! Luckily our house was not damaged by IKE. We got home Saturday afternoon. Our yard looked like there never was a storm. All the branches, leaves, debris, etc. I expected weren't there. How wonderful! Mr. Kimball is our next door neighbor. What a character!! He wasn't going to evacuate because he didn't want to pack all his guns. hahaha The cops finally forced him out. He is quite old, about 75 or 80. He can hardly walk and everything he does takes him forever. Mowing his lawn takes him about 8 hours! Which is why Reed and Conrad do it for him. Anyways, he got home on Monday. He has been cleaning up our yard all week!!! He cleaned up the branches that fell off the tree. He nailed the mailbox back on! Then he mowed the yard so I wouldn't have to deal with it!! He knew Reed was out of town. He wanted to surprise us. I am surprised!!! A friend from church came by on Monday and told me we would have "a bit" of yard work to do but the house was fine. He even saved our mail!! And I thought we didn't have any friends here. I am so humbled. Every time I think about it I start to cry. So now when I complain about Texas I will remember that it isn't ALL bad. I am so thankful that Heavenly Father keeps giving me little reminders that we are not alone, and He knows where we need to be better than we do. :) Love you all!

5 comments:

DANI KYNASTON said...

What a sweet little old man! I am sure that after all the service rendered to him it is a blessing to give something back. How wonderful to be so loved. We are glad that you are all safe and that your home is fine. I hate it when the weather is crazy! As for Texas, I keep telling everyone that Virginia is the place to be!

Vidal's Nest said...

What a wonderful thing to come home to! I find it hard sometimes to accept being here even though I know we are supposed to be! I guess Heavenly Father knows better than me!
I am so glad you are safe and your home is OK!

Shelli said...

I'm glad you are all safe. I worried about you! How wonderful to have a friend like that, and right next door, too! I love that Reed is teaching Conrad how to serve, and what a great lesson to see how much this man was touched by their service. What goes around comes around!

kristifritzel said...

See Texas isn't all bad! Im glad everything is getting normal. Love you

Mike, Suzann and Family said...

What a sweet man. Isn't it wonderful having great neighbors. We are so glad to hear that you are all well and safe.